Thursday, June 14, 2012

Soccer With Antonio

People that follow soccer know that the Spain national team won the recent World Cup in 2010 in South Africa and the past Euro cup in 2008 making Spain the world's best national soccer team. When I saw that Spain was going to play a friendly match against China in Seville at the "Estadio Olimpico" as a tune-up for the Euro Cup, my first thought was "I'm going!" I used my laptop to buy 2 tickets, one for me and one for my roommate. The tickets were only 15 Euros which is not bad to watch the best team in the world. I knew that going to watch Spain play was going to be a great experience, and it sure was.

To match the rest of the Spaniards, my friends and I went to the mall next to the stadium where the Sevilla professional team plays and bought the original jersey for 70 Euros.

During the game day, you could see people getting ready for the game, and everyone wearing red. The Spain national team is better known as "La furia roja." To get to the stadium, we needed to take the bus (C2). On our way, you could see people getting excited, waving the Spain flag, singing, and yelling "Viva España."

When we arrived at the stadium, there were already thousands of people waiting outside for the national team to arrive. The atmosphere was amazing. I have never seen people that excited for a soccer game. Entire families were there for the match. The stadium was incredible from the inside and from the outside.

As the time for the kick off was getting closer, the stadium was getting full. People were expecting a lot of goals. Well that didn't happen. Spain barely won 1-0, even though Spain controlled most of the game. During the game people were singing "Va por ellos oe oe," which basically means "is for them."

People showed their support for the entire game and the atmosphere was amazing. The opportunity that I had watching some of the best players in the world play like Iker Casillas, Xavi Alonso, Xavi Hernandez, Pique, Ramos, etc., was incredible. I am never going to forget the experience of watching this soccer game in Spain. Viva España!!

No comments:

Post a Comment